Monday 8 January 2007

Lesotho and the Northern Drakensburg


After finishing the trip in the Vic falls I got a lift back to Joburgh with a different overland truck - straight through, 20 hours! Stayed in a backpackers in the suburbs - its like being in (a very nice and friendly) prison. The backpackers is secured by a massive 1500volt fence! Also you are completely reliant on lifts from the owners, cant walk anywhere, cant use public transport, can't really go into the centre on foot if your white... so I got out of there as soon as I could. I was planning on going to Swaziland but that meant waiting another few days so I opted for the next bus out which went to the Drakensburg and I'm so glad I did. Stayed at the amphitheater backpackers and did a day trip into Lesotho which was great, its very high at 2000m (the country with the highest low point in the world) and very poor. Saw ancient san rock art, visited a traditional healer and drunk the local beer, ugh. Next day was a hike up the Sentinel Peak and walk across the top of the Amphitheater. We hiked for 3 hours and reached 3000 meters and the view and scale of the cliffs is unexplainable. I sat with my legs dangling of cliffs 1 kilometer high (now thats exciting) with the full drop to the valleys some 2km. The waterfall at amphitheater is the second highest in the world (multidrop). Check my photos, although they completely fail to capture the scale of the cliffs, I have never seen anything like it. Also saw a baboon scale one of the cliffs - outrageous. If you ever visit south africa then you must do the Northern Drakensburgh.

No comments: