Tuesday 30 January 2007

Mossel Bay and Stellenbosch

After nearly two weeks at Jefferies I reluctantly decided it was time to move on. I had such a relaxing time and was in the habit of getting up at 5:30am to go surfing (my god, I've become an early riser!). On my last day I was treated by shoulder high, offshore surf and I had an hour of super tubes all to myself, no-one else in the sea! That is almost unheard of, I count myself very lucky. So I left Jefferies, my poor hands and feet needed a break from being battered on the reef, time to let the cuts heal. I was heading for Mossel Bay, right at the other end of the Garden Route. Mossel Bay is another well known surfing spot, unfortunately the surf was pretty poor while I was there, but I had some fun waves. Theres not a lot else to do at Mossel Bay so I continued on to Stellenbosch in the heart of South Africas wine region. Stellenbosch is a fantastic place, its the oldest town in South Africa and the buildings are beautiful, the place has an almost mediterranean feel to it. I was intending to do an organised wine tour but it was not running on the day I wanted to do it so I got a map showing where the vinyards are, hired a bike and with directions of a good route to do, I cycled off to sample some classy reds. This was so much better then an organised tour, I used the money I saved to buy wine, hehehe. I got more and more drunk as the day wore on, none of this spitting for me, gulp it down all the way. So I stumbled back later into stumble inn (where I'm staying) with two flat tires! They have these things here called devil thorns, they are basically like a caltrop, leathal, they'll go right through your sandals! Stellenbosch is a student town with a great night life (you can safely walk around at night, first place yet! Although having just said that the guy I went out with was jumped by three guys on the way home but he managed to run off), so after a short lie down to recover from my wine tasting I went out and got absolutely smashed, I thought it would be rude not to. Its the equivalent to freshers week here so town was buzzing. Today however, has been fairly painful. I leave tonight for Green Point, Cape Town. Stellenbosch is great but I want to surf. I guess I'll have to get my board fixed, again.

No comments: